Article - How to Solve Problems Like a Scientist

 Here is a student-friendly article in the same learning-skills series, designed for high-school students and suitable for your educational blog.

How to Solve Problems Like a Scientist

Introduction

Problems are a normal part of life.

Students face problems every day: a difficult mathematics question, a confusing science experiment, a disagreement with a friend, poor exam results, lack of motivation, or uncertainty about what to do next.

Some people become frustrated when they face problems. Others immediately look for someone to give them the answer.

But scientists approach problems differently.

Scientists do not simply guess. They observe, ask questions, collect information, form explanations, test ideas, learn from results, and improve their understanding.

You do not have to work in a laboratory to think like a scientist. You can use scientific problem-solving in your studies, relationships, decisions, projects, and everyday life.

The goal is not to become someone who always knows the answer.

The goal is to become someone who knows how to find the answer.


1. Understand What a Problem Really Is

Before solving a problem, make sure you understand the problem.

Sometimes the problem we see is not the real problem.

For example:

“I am bad at mathematics.”

This may not be the real problem.

The real problem might be:

  • “I do not understand algebraic equations.”

  • “I missed an important lesson.”

  • “I do not practice enough.”

  • “I understand the formula but cannot apply it.”

  • “I make calculation mistakes because I work too quickly.”

A scientist does not immediately accept the first explanation.

Instead, the scientist asks:

“What exactly is happening?”

Try asking:

  • What is the problem?

  • When does it happen?

  • How often does it happen?

  • What do I already know?

  • What don't I understand?

  • What evidence do I have?

Define the problem before trying to solve it.


2. Start With Observation

Scientists begin by observing.

Observation means carefully noticing what is happening instead of immediately making assumptions.

Imagine that a plant in your classroom is becoming unhealthy.

You could say:

“The plant is dying because it doesn't like this classroom.”

But that is only a guess.

A scientist might observe:

  • How much sunlight does it receive?

  • How often is it watered?

  • Is the soil dry or wet?

  • Are the leaves changing color?

  • Are there insects?

  • Has the temperature changed?

  • When did the problem begin?

Observation gives you information.

Remember:

Observation comes before explanation.


3. Separate Facts From Assumptions

One of the most important scientific thinking skills is distinguishing between what you know and what you think.

For example:

“I failed my test because the teacher doesn't like me.”

What is the fact?

Fact: You received a low score.

What is the assumption?

Assumption: The teacher dislikes you.

There may be many other explanations:

  • You didn't study enough.

  • You misunderstood the questions.

  • You forgot important information.

  • You made careless mistakes.

  • You were nervous.

  • You misunderstood the instructions.

Scientists try not to confuse assumptions with evidence.

Ask yourself:

“Do I know this, or do I only think this?”

That simple question can improve your thinking.


4. Ask a Good Question

Good problem-solving begins with good questions.

Instead of asking:

“Why am I bad at science?”

Ask:

“Which part of the science lesson do I not understand?”

Instead of:

“Why can't I study?”

Ask:

“What usually distracts me when I try to study?”

Instead of:

“Why did my project fail?”

Ask:

“Which part of the project produced the unexpected result?”

A good question makes a problem easier to investigate.

Useful scientific questions include:

  • What is happening?

  • Why might this be happening?

  • How can I test this?

  • What evidence supports this explanation?

  • What evidence contradicts it?

  • What would happen if I changed one factor?

  • Is there another possible explanation?


5. Break Big Problems Into Smaller Problems

Large problems can feel impossible because they contain many smaller problems.

Suppose you want to improve your English.

“Improve my English” is a huge goal.

Break it down:

English improvement
→ Vocabulary
→ Grammar
→ Reading
→ Listening
→ Speaking
→ Writing
→ Pronunciation

Then choose one area.

For example:

Grammar
→ Tenses
→ Articles
→ Prepositions
→ Clauses
→ Conditionals

Now the problem becomes manageable.

Scientific principle:

Break the big problem into smaller, measurable questions.


6. Collect Information

Scientists collect evidence before reaching conclusions.

Students can do the same.

If you are trying to understand why you received a low examination score, collect information:

  • Your previous scores

  • Your answers

  • Teacher feedback

  • Questions you got wrong

  • Topics you misunderstood

  • Amount of study time

  • Practice-test results

Now you have evidence to analyze.

Don't depend on one piece of information.

The information cycle:

Question → Information → Evidence → Understanding


7. Look for Patterns

Scientists often search for patterns.

Suppose you notice:

SituationResult
Study with phone nearbyEasily distracted
Study without phoneBetter concentration
Study late at nightOften tired
Study in the morningBetter concentration

You may discover a pattern.

The problem might not be “I cannot concentrate.”

It might be:

“My environment and study time affect my concentration.”

Patterns help us discover possible causes.


8. Form a Hypothesis

A hypothesis is a testable explanation or prediction.

For example:

“If I keep my phone away while studying, I will complete more work in 30 minutes.”

That is better than:

“My phone is ruining my life.”

Why?

Because the first statement can be tested.

A useful structure:

If I change X, then Y will happen because Z.

For example:

“If I practice mathematics for 20 minutes every day, then my test performance will improve because regular practice will strengthen my problem-solving skills.”

A hypothesis is not a final answer.

It is an idea that needs testing.


9. Test Your Idea

This is one of the most important steps.

Don't simply ask:

“Do I think my idea is correct?”

Ask:

“How can I test it?”

Suppose you believe that your phone distracts you.

Try two study sessions:

Session A: Phone beside you.

Session B: Phone in another room.

Keep other conditions similar.

Then compare your results.

Perhaps you complete:

  • 8 questions in Session A

  • 15 questions in Session B

This does not prove everything about phone use, but it provides useful evidence.


10. Change One Important Variable at a Time

When conducting an experiment, scientists try to control variables.

Imagine you change everything at once:

  • Study location

  • Study time

  • Phone use

  • Study method

  • Music

  • Food

  • Sleep schedule

Then your results improve.

What caused the improvement?

You don't know.

Instead, change one important factor at a time when practical.

For example:

Question: Does studying without my phone improve concentration?

Keep the study time and task similar.

Change only:

Phone nearby → Phone away

This makes the comparison more useful.


11. Don't Be Afraid of Failure

Scientists sometimes conduct experiments that do not produce the expected result.

That is not necessarily failure.

It is information.

Suppose your hypothesis is:

“If I study for three hours every day, my grades will improve.”

You try it, but your results don't improve.

You have learned something.

Maybe:

  • Three hours is too much without effective methods.

  • You need more active recall.

  • You need better sleep.

  • You are studying the wrong material.

  • You need feedback.

  • Your study sessions lack concentration.

The result tells you what to investigate next.

Remember:

A failed attempt can become useful evidence.


12. Use Evidence, Not Just Opinions

People often say:

“I think this works.”

Scientists ask:

“What evidence shows that it works?”

For example, instead of saying:

“Reading makes me smarter.”

Ask:

  • What do I understand after reading?

  • Can I explain the material?

  • Can I answer questions about it?

  • Can I apply what I learned?

  • Has my performance improved?

Evidence makes your thinking stronger.


13. Consider Multiple Explanations

Don't fall in love with your first explanation.

Suppose you receive a low grade.

Possible explanations include:

A. You didn't study enough.

B. You studied the wrong topics.

C. You understood the material but struggled with exam questions.

D. You made careless mistakes.

E. You misunderstood the instructions.

F. You were affected by stress or lack of sleep.

A scientist considers several possibilities before deciding which explanation has the strongest evidence.

Ask:

“What else could explain this?”

This question protects you from jumping to conclusions.


14. Try to Disprove Your Own Idea

This is a powerful scientific habit.

Instead of only searching for evidence that supports your idea, search for evidence that could prove you wrong.

Suppose you believe:

“I learn best by watching videos.”

Ask:

“Can I remember and apply the information after watching?”

Compare it with reading, practice questions, or explaining the concept.

If another method works better, change your conclusion.

Strong thinkers don't protect their ideas.

They test them.


15. Use the “Why?” Chain

One useful problem-solving technique is repeatedly asking Why?

Suppose:

“I am not finishing my homework.”

Why?

→ “I start too late.”

Why?

→ “I spend too much time on my phone.”

Why?

→ “I use my phone when I feel bored.”

Why?

→ “The homework feels difficult.”

Now you may have discovered a deeper problem.

The solution might not simply be:

“Use your phone less.”

It may also involve:

“Break difficult homework into smaller tasks so starting feels easier.”

This technique is sometimes called the Five Whys.


16. Use a Problem-Solving Notebook

Create a simple notebook for difficult problems.

For each problem, write:

Problem

What is happening?

Evidence

What do I know?

Possible Causes

What might explain it?

Hypothesis

What do I think is happening?

Test

How can I test my idea?

Result

What happened?

Conclusion

What did I learn?

Next Step

What will I try next?

This turns problems into learning opportunities.


17. Apply Scientific Thinking to Mathematics

Suppose you cannot solve a mathematics problem.

Don't immediately look at the answer.

Ask:

  1. What information is given?

  2. What am I trying to find?

  3. Which formula or principle might apply?

  4. What have I already tried?

  5. Where did my reasoning stop?

  6. Can I draw a diagram?

  7. Can I solve a simpler version?

  8. Can I check my answer another way?

This turns mathematics from guessing into investigation.


18. Apply Scientific Thinking to Science

Science subjects are especially suitable for scientific problem-solving.

When studying a scientific concept, ask:

Observation → Question → Hypothesis → Experiment → Results → Conclusion

For example:

Observation: Ice melts faster in some locations.

Question: Does temperature affect the melting speed?

Hypothesis: Ice melts faster at higher temperatures.

Experiment: Place similar pieces of ice in different temperature conditions.

Results: Record melting times.

Conclusion: Compare the results with the hypothesis.

This is how scientific thinking works.


19. Apply Scientific Thinking to English

You can even use scientific thinking to improve English.

Suppose you frequently make grammar mistakes.

Don't simply say:

“My grammar is terrible.”

Collect examples.

Write down your mistakes.

After several days, look for patterns.

Maybe you frequently make mistakes with:

  • articles

  • verb tenses

  • prepositions

  • subject-verb agreement

  • word order

Now you have a specific problem.

You can study that topic, practice it, test yourself, and check whether the error rate decreases.

Your mistakes become data.


20. Use Experiments in Your Study Routine

You can treat your study habits like small experiments.

For example:

Experiment 1

Study for 25 minutes using active recall.

Experiment 2

Study for 25 minutes by simply rereading.

Then compare:

  • What did you remember?

  • How well could you explain it?

  • How many questions could you answer?

You are discovering how you learn most effectively.


21. Learn From Feedback

Feedback is another form of evidence.

If a teacher says:

“Your answer is correct, but your explanation is unclear.”

Don't simply correct the sentence.

Ask:

“What makes the explanation unclear?”

Then improve it.

Feedback tells you where your current method is working and where it needs adjustment.

Think of feedback as information, not punishment.


22. Revise Your Explanation

Scientists sometimes change their explanations when new evidence appears.

You should be willing to do the same.

Maybe you originally believed:

“I am not good at mathematics.”

After investigating, you discover:

“I understand mathematical concepts when they are explained visually, but I need more practice applying formulas.”

That is a much more useful conclusion.

It gives you something you can work on.

Good problem-solving changes vague beliefs into specific, actionable understanding.


23. Know When to Ask for Help

Scientific thinking does not mean solving everything alone.

Scientists work together.

Students should also ask for help when necessary.

But don't simply ask:

“What is the answer?”

Try:

“I understand the first two steps, but I don't understand why this formula is used in the third step. Could you explain it?”

This shows what you know and identifies exactly where you need help.

Good help-seeking is part of independent learning.


24. Avoid Common Problem-Solving Mistakes

Mistake 1: Jumping to conclusions

You decide the cause before collecting evidence.

Mistake 2: Depending on one explanation

You assume there is only one possible cause.

Mistake 3: Ignoring evidence

You continue believing something even when evidence contradicts it.

Mistake 4: Changing everything at once

You cannot determine what caused the result.

Mistake 5: Giving up after one failure

One unsuccessful attempt does not provide the whole answer.

Mistake 6: Looking only for supporting evidence

You ignore information that challenges your idea.

Mistake 7: Confusing confidence with correctness

Being confident does not make an idea true.

Mistake 8: Searching for answers without understanding

Finding an answer is not the same as solving a problem.


25. Develop a Scientific Mindset

A scientific mindset includes:

Curiosity
Ask questions.

Skepticism
Don't accept every claim immediately.

Open-mindedness
Consider alternative explanations.

Patience
Give yourself time to investigate.

Evidence-based thinking
Use information to support conclusions.

Flexibility
Change your idea when evidence requires it.

Persistence
Keep investigating when the first attempt fails.

Humility
Be comfortable saying, “I don't know yet.”

These qualities are useful far beyond science.


26. The Scientific Problem-Solving Cycle

You can remember the whole process with this simple cycle:

O → Q → I → H → T → A → R

O — Observe
What is happening?

Q — Question
What exactly do I want to understand?

I — Investigate
What information and evidence do I need?

H — Hypothesize
What possible explanation can I test?

T — Test
How can I test the explanation?

A — Analyze
What do the results show?

R — Revise
What should I change, improve, or investigate next?

Then the cycle begins again.

Observe → Question → Investigate → Hypothesize → Test → Analyze → Revise

This is not always a perfectly straight line. Sometimes new evidence sends you back to an earlier step.

That's normal.


27. A Real-Life Student Example

Imagine a student says:

“I study a lot, but I forget everything during exams.”

Instead of accepting this statement as the final explanation, let's investigate.

Step 1 — Observe

The student studies for two hours every evening.

Step 2 — Question

“What happens during those two hours?”

Step 3 — Investigate

The student discovers that most of the time is spent rereading textbooks.

Step 4 — Hypothesis

“Maybe rereading creates familiarity but not strong recall.”

Step 5 — Test

For one week, the student replaces some rereading with:

  • practice questions

  • flashcards

  • explaining concepts aloud

  • closed-book recall

Step 6 — Analyze

The student takes a short test at the end of the week.

Step 7 — Revise

The student keeps the techniques that produce better results and changes the weaker ones.

The student didn't simply study harder.

The student investigated how studying works.

That is scientific problem-solving.


28. Use the “Evidence Before Conclusion” Rule

Before making an important conclusion, pause and ask:

“What evidence supports this?”

Then ask:

“What evidence might challenge it?”

Finally:

“What else could explain the situation?”

These three questions can prevent many thinking mistakes.


29. Turn Problems Into Experiments

Instead of saying:

“I can't concentrate.”

Try:

“I will test whether studying without my phone for 30 minutes improves my concentration.”

Instead of:

“I can't remember vocabulary.”

Try:

“I will compare learning 10 words through rereading with learning 10 words through active recall.”

Instead of:

“I am bad at presentations.”

Try:

“I will practice my presentation three times and record myself to identify specific weaknesses.”

This changes your thinking from:

Problem → Frustration

to:

Problem → Question → Experiment → Evidence → Improvement


30. The 10-Minute Scientist Challenge

You can practice scientific thinking every day.

Choose one small problem.

Minute 1–2: Define

What exactly is the problem?

Minute 3–4: Observe

What evidence do I have?

Minute 5–6: Generate explanations

What could be causing it?

Minute 7: Choose a hypothesis

Which explanation can I test?

Minute 8: Design a test

What small experiment can I conduct?

Minute 9: Predict

What do I expect to happen?

Minute 10: Record

Write down what you learned and your next step.

Do this regularly and problem-solving will become a habit.


31. A Simple Problem-Solving Formula for Students

Remember:

DEFINE → OBSERVE → QUESTION → INVESTIGATE → HYPOTHESIZE → TEST → ANALYZE → IMPROVE

DEFINE

Clearly identify the problem.

OBSERVE

Look carefully at what is happening.

QUESTION

Ask a specific question.

INVESTIGATE

Collect useful information.

HYPOTHESIZE

Develop a testable explanation.

TEST

Try an experiment or solution.

ANALYZE

Study the results.

IMPROVE

Change your approach based on what you learned.

This process can be used for schoolwork, projects, study habits, and everyday problems.


32. Student Checklist

When you face a difficult problem, ask yourself:

☐ What exactly is the problem?

☐ What do I actually know?

☐ What am I assuming?

☐ What evidence do I have?

☐ What questions should I ask?

☐ What are the possible explanations?

☐ Can I break the problem into smaller parts?

☐ What hypothesis can I test?

☐ How can I test it?

☐ What happened?

☐ What did I learn?

☐ What should I change?

☐ Do I need more information?

☐ Should I ask someone for help?


Conclusion

Being good at problem-solving does not mean always knowing the answer.

It means knowing how to investigate the problem.

Scientists are curious. They observe carefully, ask questions, collect evidence, test ideas, learn from unexpected results, and change their explanations when new evidence appears.

Students can develop the same habits.

When you face a difficult mathematics problem, don't immediately say, “I can't do it.”

Ask:

“What do I know?”

Then:

“What don't I know?”

Then:

“How can I find out?”

That small change in thinking can make a huge difference.

Remember:

Don't just look for answers. Investigate problems.

Don't fear mistakes. Learn from evidence.

Don't assume. Ask questions.

Don't give up after one attempt. Test another approach.

The strongest problem-solvers are not necessarily the people who know the most.

They are the people who are willing to observe, question, investigate, test, learn, and try again.

And that is how you can begin to solve problems like a scientist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grade 6, English

IT Knowledges

Grade 5 English