Grammar - Emphasis Structures in English

 

Emphasis Structures in English – Complete Explanation

1. What Is Emphasis?

Emphasis means giving special importance or attention to a particular word, phrase, or idea.

Compare:

  • I wanted the blue car.

  • I really wanted the blue car.

  • It was the blue car that I wanted.

All three sentences communicate a similar basic idea, but the second and third give extra emphasis.

English has several structures for emphasizing information.


2. Main Emphasis Structures

The most important structures are:

  1. Do/does/did for emphasis

  2. Cleft sentences

  3. It-clefts

  4. Wh-clefts

  5. Inversion

  6. Fronting

  7. What/How exclamations

  8. Repetition

  9. Intensifiers

  10. Reflexive pronouns for emphasis

  11. Auxiliary emphasis

  12. Emphatic negative structures


Part I: Emphatic Do

3. Do/Does/Did for Emphasis

We can use do, does, or did before the main verb to emphasize an affirmative statement.

Present Simple

Subject + do/does + V1

Examples:

  • I do understand you.

  • She does work hard.

  • He does know the answer.

Past Simple

Subject + did + V1

Examples:

  • I did call you.

  • She did finish the work.

  • They did try to help.

Compare

Normal:

  • I like this book.

Emphatic:

  • I do like this book.

The emphatic form suggests:

"I really like this book."


4. Important Rule

After do/does/did, use the base form (V1).

❌ She does likes English.

✅ She does like English.

❌ He did went home.

✅ He did go home.


Part II: Cleft Sentences

5. What Is a Cleft Sentence?

A cleft sentence divides one simple sentence into two parts to emphasize one particular piece of information.

Normal

  • John broke the window.

Cleft

  • It was John who broke the window.

The emphasis is on John.


6. It-Cleft Sentences

Basic Structure

It + be + emphasized element + who/that + clause

Examples:

  • It was John who broke the window.

  • It was yesterday that I met her.

  • It is English that I want to learn.

  • It was because of the rain that we stayed home.


7. Emphasizing the Subject

Normal:

  • Mary bought the computer.

Emphasis:

  • It was Mary who bought the computer.


8. Emphasizing the Object

Normal:

  • Mary bought the computer.

Emphasis:

  • It was the computer that Mary bought.


9. Emphasizing Time

Normal:

  • I met him yesterday.

Emphasis:

  • It was yesterday that I met him.


10. Emphasizing Place

Normal:

  • We met at the library.

Emphasis:

  • It was at the library that we met.


11. Emphasizing Reason

Normal:

  • We stayed home because of the rain.

Emphasis:

  • It was because of the rain that we stayed home.


Part III: Wh-Cleft Sentences

12. What-Cleft Sentences

A wh-cleft commonly begins with what.

Structure

What + clause + be + emphasized information

Examples:

  • What I need is a break.

  • What she wants is some help.

  • What he likes most is football.


13. What-Cleft for Emphasis

Normal:

  • I need a new computer.

Wh-cleft:

  • What I need is a new computer.

Normal:

  • She wants some money.

Wh-cleft:

  • What she wants is some money.


14. Other Wh-Clefts

We can use:

  • what

  • where

  • when

  • why

  • how

Examples:

  • Where we met was Yangon.

  • When he arrived was surprising.

  • Why she left was unclear.

  • How he solved the problem was impressive.


Part IV: Inversion for Emphasis

15. Emphatic Inversion

Inversion changes the normal word order to create emphasis or a formal style.

Normal

  • I have never seen such a beautiful place.

Emphatic

  • Never have I seen such a beautiful place.


16. Common Negative Expressions

Inversion can follow:

  • never

  • rarely

  • seldom

  • hardly

  • scarcely

  • no sooner

  • little

  • nowhere

  • under no circumstances

  • at no time

  • on no account

Examples

  • Rarely do we see such talent.

  • Seldom has he made a mistake.

  • Little did I know what would happen.

  • Under no circumstances should you open the door.


Part V: Fronting

17. What Is Fronting?

Fronting means moving a word or phrase to the beginning of a sentence to give it emphasis.

Normal

  • I really like this book.

Fronted

  • This book, I really like.

The object this book is emphasized.


18. Fronting Adverbials

Normal:

  • We went to the beach after lunch.

Fronted:

  • After lunch, we went to the beach.

This gives attention to after lunch.


19. Fronting Negative Expressions

Normal:

  • I have never seen anything like it.

Fronted:

  • Never have I seen anything like it.

Notice that fronting a negative expression causes inversion.


Part VI: Exclamatory Structures

20. What + Noun

Structure

What + a/an + adjective + singular noun + subject + verb!

Examples:

  • What a beautiful day it is!

  • What an amazing story she told!

With plural or uncountable nouns:

  • What beautiful flowers!

  • What wonderful weather!


21. How + Adjective/Adverb

Structure

How + adjective/adverb + subject + verb!

Examples:

  • How beautiful she is!

  • How quickly he runs!

  • How difficult the test was!


22. Comparison

Normal:

  • She is very beautiful.

Emphatic:

  • How beautiful she is!

Normal:

  • It was a very difficult exam.

Emphatic:

  • What a difficult exam it was!


Part VII: Intensifiers

23. What Are Intensifiers?

Intensifiers are words that make an adjective, adverb, or verb stronger.

Common intensifiers include:

  • very

  • really

  • extremely

  • incredibly

  • absolutely

  • completely

  • totally

  • highly

  • deeply

  • strongly

  • particularly

  • especially

Examples

  • She is very intelligent.

  • He is extremely talented.

  • I really like this song.

  • They were absolutely exhausted.


24. Strong Intensifiers

Some adjectives are already very strong, so we normally use absolutely or similar words.

Examples:

  • absolutely amazing

  • absolutely impossible

  • absolutely exhausted

  • completely wrong

  • totally ridiculous

Usually avoid:

❌ very impossible

Better:

✅ absolutely impossible


Part VIII: Reflexive Pronouns for Emphasis

25. Emphatic Reflexive Pronouns

Reflexive pronouns can emphasize the person who performed an action.

Examples

  • I myself checked the report.

  • She herself prepared the meal.

  • The manager himself spoke to us.

  • We ourselves built the house.


26. Position of Emphatic Reflexive Pronouns

They can appear:

After the subject

  • I myself did it.

At the end

  • I did it myself.

Both emphasize the subject.


Part IX: Repetition

27. Repetition for Emphasis

Repeating a word can make an idea stronger.

Examples:

  • It was a very, very difficult exam.

  • He was really, really tired.

  • She is so, so happy.

In formal writing, avoid excessive repetition.


28. Repetition with "and"

This can emphasize increasing intensity.

Examples:

  • The situation became worse and worse.

  • She became more and more confident.

  • He grew stronger and stronger.


Part X: Emphatic Negative Structures

29. Not at All

Used to strongly emphasize a negative statement.

  • I am not at all worried.

  • She was not at all interested.


30. Under No Circumstances

Means never / in no situation.

  • Under no circumstances should you touch this machine.


31. By No Means

Means not at all / certainly not.

  • This is by no means an easy task.

When placed at the beginning, inversion is possible:

  • By no means is this an easy task.


Part XI: Emphasis with "Only"

32. Only + Phrase

Only can emphasize a particular condition, time, place, or person.

Examples:

  • Only John knew the answer.

  • Only yesterday did I hear the news.

  • Only after the meeting did she understand the problem.


33. Only Then

  • Only then did I realize my mistake.

Normal:

  • I realized my mistake only then.


34. Only When

  • Only when he apologized did she forgive him.

Meaning:

She forgave him only after he apologized.


35. Only If

  • Only if you work hard will you succeed.

Meaning:

You will succeed only if you work hard.


Part XII: Emphasis with "So" and "Such"

36. So + Adjective

Normal

  • The movie was very interesting.

Emphatic

  • So interesting was the movie that I watched it twice.

This is formal/literary.


37. Such + Noun

  • Such was his determination that he never gave up.

Meaning:

His determination was so strong that he never gave up.


Part XIII: Emphasis with "Even"

38. Even

Even emphasizes something surprising or unexpected.

Examples:

  • Even John understood the lesson.

  • She didn't tell even her best friend.

  • Even though it was raining, we went outside.

Compare:

  • John understood the lesson.

  • Even John understood the lesson.

The second sentence suggests that John was perhaps the least expected person to understand it.


39. Emphasis with "Only"

Compare:

  • John came to the party.

  • Only John came to the party.

The second sentence emphasizes that nobody else came.


Part XIV: Emphasis with "Do"

40. Do + Verb

This is especially useful when correcting or contradicting someone.

A

"You don't like English."

B

"I do like English!"


Another Example

  • I did tell you about the meeting.

This strongly emphasizes that the speaker really told the listener.


Part XV: Emphasis with "It Is/Was"

41. It Is/Was...That/Who

This is the basic cleft structure.

Examples:

  • It is John who needs help.

  • It was yesterday that she arrived.

  • It is this book that I want.

  • It was because of the rain that we stayed home.


Part XVI: Emphasis with "The Thing Is"

42. The Thing Is...

This structure emphasizes an explanation or important point.

Examples:

  • The thing is, we don't have enough money.

  • The thing is, I don't know what to do.

It is especially common in conversation.


43. What Matters Is...

Used to emphasize what is important.

Examples:

  • What matters is your effort.

  • What matters most is that you are happy.


44. What I Mean Is...

Used to clarify and emphasize the speaker's intended meaning.

Example:

  • What I mean is, we need more time.


45. The Point Is...

Used to emphasize the central idea.

Examples:

  • The point is, we need to act quickly.

  • The important thing is to remain calm.


Part XVII: Emphasis in Comparisons

46. Far, Much, Even, A Lot

These words can strengthen comparative adjectives.

Examples:

  • This book is far better.

  • She is much taller than me.

  • This problem is even more difficult.

  • The second test was a lot easier.


47. The + Comparative..., The + Comparative...

This structure emphasizes a relationship between two changes.

Structure

The + comparative..., the + comparative...

Examples:

  • The more you practice, the better you become.

  • The harder you work, the more successful you will be.

  • The sooner we leave, the earlier we will arrive.


Part XVIII: Advanced Emphasis Structures

48. Negative Inversion

Normal

  • I had never seen such a large building.

Advanced

  • Never had I seen such a large building.


49. Conditional Inversion

Normal

  • If I had known, I would have helped.

Emphatic/Formal

  • Had I known, I would have helped.


Normal

  • If you should need assistance, contact me.

Formal

  • Should you need assistance, contact me.


Normal

  • If I were you, I would accept the offer.

Formal

  • Were I you, I would accept the offer.


50. Summary of Major Emphasis Structures

StructureExampleMain Purpose
do/does/didI do understand.Strong affirmation
It-cleftIt was John who called.Emphasize information
What-cleftWhat I need is time.Emphasize main idea
FrontingThis book, I really like.Focus attention
InversionNever have I seen it.Strong/formal emphasis
IntensifierIt is extremely important.Increase strength
ReflexiveI myself did it.Emphasize person
ExclamationWhat a beautiful day!Strong feeling
EvenEven John knew it.Unexpected emphasis
OnlyOnly John knew it.Limit/focus
The thing isThe thing is, we need time.Emphasize explanation
What matters isWhat matters is your effort.Emphasize importance
The more..., the more...The more you practice, the better you become.Emphasize relationship

51. Common Mistakes

Mistake 1

❌ I do likes English.

✅ I do like English.


Mistake 2

❌ It was John which called me.

✅ It was John who called me.


Mistake 3

❌ Never I have seen this.

Never have I seen this.


Mistake 4

❌ Only after the meeting I understood.

Only after the meeting did I understand.


Mistake 5

❌ She herself did the work herself herself.

✅ She herself did the work.

OR

✅ She did the work herself.


Mistake 6

❌ What I need are a new computer.

✅ What I need is a new computer.


52. Practice

1. Add emphasis with do

I like this movie.

Answer:

I do like this movie.


2. Use an it-cleft

Mary broke the window.

Answer:

It was Mary who broke the window.


3. Use a what-cleft

I need some help.

Answer:

What I need is some help.


4. Use inversion

I have never seen such a beautiful place.

Answer:

Never have I seen such a beautiful place.


5. Use only

I understood the lesson after the teacher explained it.

Answer:

Only after the teacher explained it did I understand the lesson.


6. Use an emphatic reflexive pronoun

The manager checked the report.

Answer:

The manager himself checked the report.


7. Use an exclamatory structure

The house is very beautiful.

Answer:

What a beautiful house it is!

OR

How beautiful the house is!


53. How to Choose the Right Emphasis Structure

If you want to...Use...
Strongly confirm somethingdo/does/did
Emphasize a person/place/timeIt-cleft
Emphasize what is importantWhat-cleft
Give special focus to a phraseFronting
Create formal/strong emphasisInversion
Make an adjective strongerIntensifier
Emphasize who did somethingReflexive pronoun
Express strong emotionWhat/How exclamation
Emphasize something surprisingEven
Emphasize a restrictionOnly
Emphasize the main pointThe thing is / The point is

54. Final Summary

Emphasis structures are grammatical structures used to make a particular word, phrase, or idea more noticeable or important.

The most important structures to master are:

1. Emphatic Do

I do understand.

2. It-Cleft

It was John who called me.

3. What-Cleft

What I need is more time.

4. Inversion

Never have I seen such a thing.

5. Fronting

This book, I really like.

6. Reflexive Emphasis

I myself did it.

7. Intensifiers

It is extremely important.

8. Exclamations

What a beautiful day!

9. Only + Inversion

Only then did I understand.

10. Negative Expressions + Inversion

Under no circumstances should you do that.

11. Conditional Inversion

Had I known, I would have helped.

12. Comparative Emphasis

The more you practice, the better you become.

Key idea: Emphasis does not usually change the basic meaning of a sentence; it changes which part receives the listener's or reader's attention. These structures are particularly useful for advanced writing, formal English, speeches, academic writing, and fluent conversation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grade 6, English

IT Knowledges

Grade 5 English