Grammar - Gerunds and Infinitives

 

Gerunds and Infinitives – Complete Explanation

1. What Are Gerunds and Infinitives?

Gerunds and infinitives are verb forms that often function as nouns in a sentence. They are widely used after certain verbs, adjectives, nouns, and expressions.

Although both can sometimes have similar meanings, they are not always interchangeable. The verb before them usually determines which form is correct.


Part I: Gerunds

2. What is a Gerund?

A gerund is the -ing form of a verb that functions as a noun.

Structure

Verb + ing

Examples:

  • swimming

  • reading

  • writing

  • singing

  • playing

Examples in Sentences

  • Swimming is good exercise.

  • I enjoy reading.

  • She loves dancing.

In these examples, swimming, reading, and dancing act as nouns.


3. Functions of Gerunds

A. Gerund as the Subject

Examples:

  • Reading improves your vocabulary.

  • Walking is healthy.

  • Learning English takes time.


B. Gerund as the Object

Examples:

  • I enjoy playing football.

  • She likes painting.

  • We finished cleaning.


C. Gerund After a Preposition

After a preposition, use a gerund, not an infinitive.

Examples:

  • He is interested in learning English.

  • Thank you for helping me.

  • She left without saying goodbye.

  • We talked about traveling.


D. Gerund After Certain Expressions

Examples:

  • It's no use crying.

  • I can't help laughing.

  • It's worth seeing.


4. Verbs Followed by Gerunds

The following verbs are commonly followed by a gerund:

VerbExample
enjoyI enjoy reading.
finishShe finished writing.
avoidHe avoided answering.
keepKeep smiling.
practiceThey practice speaking English.
suggestShe suggested going home.
mindDo you mind opening the window?
considerWe considered moving.
admitHe admitted cheating.
denyShe denied stealing the money.
imagineImagine living on the moon.
postponeThey postponed leaving.
missI miss seeing my friends.
riskHe risked losing everything.
quitShe quit smoking.

Part II: Infinitives

5. What is an Infinitive?

An infinitive is the base form of a verb, usually preceded by to.

Structure

to + V1

Examples:

  • to eat

  • to read

  • to play

  • to study

  • to write


6. Functions of Infinitives

A. Infinitive as Subject

Examples:

  • To learn English is useful.

  • To help others is important.

(In everyday English, we often use "It" instead:)

  • It is useful to learn English.


B. Infinitive as Object

Examples:

  • I want to study.

  • She hopes to win.

  • We decided to leave.


C. Infinitive After Adjectives

Examples:

  • I am happy to help.

  • She is eager to learn.

  • They are ready to leave.


D. Infinitive to Show Purpose

Examples:

  • I came to help.

  • She went to the library to study.

  • We exercise to stay healthy.


7. Verbs Followed by Infinitives

VerbExample
wantI want to sleep.
hopeShe hopes to travel.
decideWe decided to leave.
promiseHe promised to come.
agreeThey agreed to help.
refuseShe refused to answer.
expectI expect to finish soon.
planWe plan to visit Bagan.
learnHe learned to drive.
offerShe offered to help.
chooseThey chose to stay.
manageHe managed to escape.
failShe failed to pass.
attemptHe attempted to climb the mountain.

Part III: Verbs Followed by Either Gerunds or Infinitives

Some verbs can be followed by either, often with little or no change in meaning.

VerbExamples
beginIt began raining. / It began to rain.
startShe started singing. / She started to sing.
continueThey continued working. / They continued to work.
likeI like reading. / I like to read.
loveShe loves dancing. / She loves to dance.
hateHe hates waiting. / He hates to wait.
preferI prefer walking. / I prefer to walk.

8. Verbs That Change Meaning

Some verbs change meaning depending on whether they are followed by a gerund or an infinitive.

A. Remember

Remember + Gerund

= Recall a past action.

  • I remember meeting her.

Remember + Infinitive

= Do not forget a future action.

  • Remember to lock the door.


B. Forget

Forget + Gerund

= Forget a past memory.

  • I'll never forget visiting Bagan.

Forget + Infinitive

= Fail to do something.

  • I forgot to call him.


C. Stop

Stop + Gerund

= End an activity.

  • He stopped smoking.

Stop + Infinitive

= Pause one action to do another.

  • He stopped to smoke.

(He stopped walking in order to smoke.)


D. Try

Try + Gerund

= Experiment.

  • Try adding more salt.

Try + Infinitive

= Make an effort.

  • Try to finish your homework.


E. Mean

Mean + Gerund

= Involve.

  • Being a doctor means working hard.

Mean + Infinitive

= Intend.

  • I meant to call you.


F. Regret

Regret + Gerund

= Feel sorry about the past.

  • I regret telling him.

Regret + Infinitive

= Be sorry to announce.

  • We regret to inform you that your application was unsuccessful.


9. Bare Infinitive (Infinitive Without "To")

Some verbs are followed by the base verb without "to".

After Modal Verbs

  • can swim

  • should study

  • must go

  • will come

After "Let"

  • Let him go.

  • Let me help.

After "Make"

  • The teacher made us clean the classroom.

After "Help"

Both forms are acceptable:

  • Help me carry the bag.

  • Help me to carry the bag.

After Verbs of Perception (often in active voice)

  • I saw him cross the road.

  • We heard her sing.


10. Gerund vs Present Participle

Both end in -ing, but they have different functions.

Gerund (Noun)

  • Swimming is fun.

Present Participle (Verb/Adjective)

  • She is swimming.

  • The swimming child waved.


11. Common Errors

❌ I enjoy to swim.

✅ I enjoy swimming.


❌ She decided going.

✅ She decided to go.


❌ He is interested to learn English.

✅ He is interested in learning English.


❌ Remember locking the door.

(Incorrect if you mean "Don't forget.")

✅ Remember to lock the door.


❌ I want going home.

✅ I want to go home.


12. Summary Table

Verbs Followed by Gerunds

VerbExample
enjoyenjoy reading
finishfinish writing
avoidavoid driving
keepkeep smiling
practicepractice speaking
suggestsuggest going
considerconsider moving
admitadmit cheating
denydeny stealing
postponepostpone leaving

Verbs Followed by Infinitives

VerbExample
wantwant to go
decidedecide to leave
hopehope to win
promisepromise to help
agreeagree to come
refuserefuse to answer
expectexpect to succeed
planplan to travel
offeroffer to help
managemanage to finish

13. Practice

Choose the correct form.

  1. I enjoy ______ books.

a) to read

b) reading

Answer: reading


  1. She wants ______ a doctor.

a) becoming

b) to become

Answer: to become


  1. He is interested in ______ English.

a) learning

b) to learn

Answer: learning


  1. They decided ______ early.

a) leaving

b) to leave

Answer: to leave


  1. Remember ______ the lights before leaving.

a) turning off

b) to turn off

Answer: to turn off


14. Memory Tips

Use a Gerund

  • After prepositions:

    • interested in reading

    • good at writing

  • After verbs like:

    • enjoy

    • finish

    • avoid

    • keep

    • suggest

    • consider

    • practice

Use an Infinitive

  • After verbs like:

    • want

    • decide

    • hope

    • promise

    • plan

    • agree

    • refuse

    • expect

Use a Bare Infinitive

  • After modal verbs:

    • can go

    • should study

    • must leave


15. Easy Definitions to Remember

Gerund

A gerund is the -ing form of a verb that functions as a noun.

Verb + ing

Examples:

  • Swimming is fun.

  • I enjoy reading.


Infinitive

An infinitive is the base form of a verb, usually preceded by to.

to + Verb (V1)

Examples:

  • I want to learn.

  • She decided to study.


Key Difference

  • Gerunds often refer to activities in a general sense and are required after certain verbs and all prepositions.

  • Infinitives often express purpose, intention, plans, or future actions and are required after many other verbs.

Mastering gerunds and infinitives will make your English more natural, grammatically accurate, and fluent in both speaking and writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grade 6, English

IT Knowledges

Grade 5 English